The SCD is present on the University of Rennes' campuses with its three academic libraries: BU Beaulieu, BU Centre, BU Villejean Santé.
It is also present on the remote campuses — Lannion, Saint-Brieuc and Saint-Malo.
It coordinates the work of about twenty associated libraries using the University library information system.
It also cooperates closely with the libraries of several higher institutions in Rennes: INSA Rennes, ENSCR, Sciences Po Rennes and ENS Rennes.
SCD Organizational chart
The SCD :
- develops a library offering tailored to the needs of researchers, teachers and students, particularly in digital format, and coordinates the corresponding resources,
- obtains, labels, manages, discloses and lends out documents and information resources on any media,
- develops digital library resources, helps with their production and fosters their use,
- helps to develop scientific and technical information, particularly by producing, collecting, labelling, disseminating and archiving university work,
- conserves and promotes documentary heritage material or academic literature,
- welcomes all university users: students, researchers, research lecturers, staff, and also external users,
- helps users with their research and answers their questions relating to documentation, either on the spot in the libraries or via a remote information service,
- trains users, particularly students, in library methodology in conjunction with teaching staff,
- takes part in university cultural, scientific and technical events,
- puts measures in place for welcoming users with disabilities.